Tuesday 5 June 2012

setting out...

Motivated by a recent post on zenhabits.net, I’m finally taking the plunge and writing my first ever post. I imagine the content of this blog will evolve over time as I start to sort out what specifically I want to talk about on a semi-regular basis. I’m hoping to combine a few disparate but connected (I think so, at least) interests into something, namely: fitness, nutrition, frugality, simplicity, history, art and perhaps others.
One of my motivations for writing is out of frustration at the oft-touted idea that taking care of yourself and being fit requires expensive gym memberships, costly equipment, a higher food budget, etc., etc. etc. I’m by no means an expert but I’m hoping that this blog will serve as a venue for posting some good ideas I’ve learned through the years that prove that notion to be untrue. To be honest, I’m a bit of a cheap bastard and I’ve spent a lot of time trying to come up with economical, d.i.y. solutions in the realm of fitness and nutrition. In a lot of cases (maybe not all), simplicity wins out against more complicated (read: pricier) alternatives.
From the get-go, I want to point out that this is not going to be the place to find out tips on how to squat 500 pounds, improve your marathon time, get to 5% body fat, etc. It’s not that I don’t think those are admirable goals. I do, but I’ve also never done any of those things and therefore there are far better places to learn about them. What I have done is consistently maintain a relatively high level of fitness (certainly not elite athlete but probably better than 99% of the general population) at a very low cost. The point of that is that there’s absolutely nothing special about me. I don’t have particularly great genetics (certainly not a hindrance, but not a huge help either), loads of free time (two toddlers at home and a full-time job) or an abundance of cash. I want to talk about the kind of stuff that anyone can do to improve their health and physical abilities. Nothing complicated.
If I get really carried away, I might end up talking about how that idea of simplicity, frugality and paring down to the essentials might translate into other arenas, such as art, poetry, aesthetics, gardening, leisure, etc. I think maybe I’m overreaching here, but you never know. Sometimes, in moments of clarity, it seems to flow into some sort of interconnectedness. Maybe I’m full of shit...more than likely. We’ll see how it goes. If anyone learns anything from this blog (even if it's just me), perhaps it’s worth a start.

No comments:

Post a Comment